Thursday, December 11, 2008

New Roommate

My new roommie is great! He's an interesting guy but not as weird as the other one was.
The new guy "Matt" is very tall and has a lot of hair, a huge smile and a very casual personality. He is passionate about the outdoors and is interesting. We stayed awake waaaaay past my bedtime the other night talking about everything outdoors and now I'm ready to be outdoors.

He is a gearhead. Meaning a guy who loves outdoor gear. He works at a surfshop and a ski shop but he also hikes, camps, climbs and mtn bikes. So we got to sharing stories and then he made me show him my gear. (Don't get dirty here), so I pulled out my ski's, board and bikes.

First, he could care less about boarding but LOVED my ski's. Then he wanted to see my boots. I bought my boots 3 seasons ago at the Gart Sports Sniagrab sale which is a mad house. Unfortunately, the $8/hour bootfitter was less than qualified to fit my boots and I have a pair of useless boots about 2 sizes too big.

2 seasons ago I was informed of this and last season I spent $200 on a custom made insole but my skiing still hasn't progressed the way I'd hoped it would by now so I turned to getting better at boarding, which I have and I rock in case you were wondering...

So after talking about boots and my skis and the powder and the locals pass i got this year...I have been successfully talked into a new pair of ski boots. Like I wanted to spend $200-$400 on a new pair of boots but he made it pretty clear that I need to. He said I'd improve on accident if I did. Well, I'm down for that. I want to feel more comfortable in my boots and I want to be able to attack the mountain on my ski's once again.

That wasn't the end of that though...he also LOVED my mountain bike which I got from a teacher friend for $250. He pointed to a little piece on my gear and told me that that piece alone cost $250 and that my bike at the newest version retails for $5k ... so again I feel good about a pretty good deal!

I am psyched about the powder now bring it on!

No comments: