Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Big Realizations! Less Stress?

Mostly since January have I been as unhappy as I have been lately, and for a variety of reasons I've decided:
  1. Christmas break was sooooo great! Time with family, friends, Jeremy and relaxing on the slopes!
  2. Deadlines, deadlines, deadlines. Yearbook sales were due and we were down about 80 books from last year, meaning it could throw our budget out the window. DECA competition and deadlines which I was unaware I would be in charge of but my boss threw it in my lap 24 hours before it was due in the State office- no exceptions and 52 pages of forms later I had it in only 12 hours late.
  3. Life style changes. (here's the biggest realization)

When I moved to Italy, I needed to know I could do that: move away, do something different- follow my heart and my dreams. Then I got the offer for Aspen, and I thought, this is the next step and it was, don't get me wrong!

Boy was it ever the place. I had no "real" life...mostly work and my work friends. I had a great time on the slopes every weekend and a couple close friends.

As I work my ass off, I realize that I am not happy with my job. I took the time last week to determine what it was that I was so unhappy about. To summarize, I am teaching 150 hours of unpaid classroom time more than 98% of the teachers in my school. I do 3x the job of the average teacher in my school in the same amount of time. Planning periods are a myth and the administration are idiots who don't look after their employees.

A colleauge said it best "this school needs to have an attitude adjustment that this is a great school, with great teachers and strong curriculum- instead of catering to the rich parents."

I couldn't agree more! I am sick of not getting the support I need.

soooooo...lucky to have a job, yes, but not worried about my next move- I am ready for something better.

When your job sucks and your life is out of balance and you have nothing to call your own to come home to, what do you have? We rent an overpriced townhome for a "reduced" rate higher than most of your mortgages and you have very nice homes.

Sometimes I day dream of coming home, ruffing up my puppies ear's and taking a run with him later throwing a ball and having a great fulfillment in my heart.

So, we spent the weekend editing our resume's and preparing for the job hunt. I have determined that I know I have the skills, the education and the personality to do just fine or even better. I have to lay my cards out and see what happens- open the doors of opportunity and let the wind take me where it will next- which in turn makes me feel more at ease about where I am in this whole thing: should I stay or should I go now....we shall see!

No comments: